I have always been quite intuitive.
It is probably what led me to my chosen profession.
Are you an Intuitive?
So, what do I mean by, “Are you an Intuitive?” I pose the question that way because it is a bit different than asking, “Are you intuitive?” To me, the difference is this- we are all intuitive but an Intuitive is someone who uses intuitive skills and psychic abilities mindfully and intentionally to heal, help or assist others, individually or collectively.
I have used intuition all my life- most of us do- but admittedly, when I went to school to become a psychotherapist, and when I experienced my own psychotherapy, my intuitive skills became focused and more useful and those frequent “perceptive ” encounters I had began to make sense.
Knowing Sensing and Feeling
As a child and young adult I had many incidents of knowing, sensing and feeling. At times these experiences were completely overwhelming and I did not know how to filter the full body assault I endured after such incidents. I just remember feeling exhausted and drained. I now know that I am an empath, often picking up on the emotions of others and feeling those emotions myself. But being an empath and having intuition are unhelpful characteristics unless awareness and mindfulness enter in. In fact, without insight, awareness and mindfulness, an unbridled empath with intuition can actually cause harm.
For years I wanted to just shut it all down- this mess of emotions and reactions I could not categorize, define or understand. And for short periods of time, I succeeded. I worked out of the logical side of my brain, peppered with just enough intuition to get by. I did not want the aftermath that came with being an empath-
…knowing something about someone and not knowing what to do with the knowing, sensing something about a person or the environment, always with a foreboding quality, feeling what someone else was feeling and not understanding how that was helpful to either of us…
Perhaps you can relate to these intuitive experiences
I offer a list of some of my own experiences here. Before I knew how to best utilize my gifts, you can see why this would have been overwhelming.
The experiences I have had include:
- Foreboding, haunting or downright scary feelings about certain people or places (houses, or rooms within a house). This usually involves an immediate cognitive warning- “the knowing”- to get away, get out, find protection- coupled with watery eyes and hairs standing up (literally) on my arms.
- Sensing the collective trauma of a place (village or town for instance) and this usually results in an immediate feeling of void or emptiness and I become very drained and tired/lethargic.
- Having eye contact with someone and knowing what they will do or say within the next few minutes. This “knowing” is usually accompanied by the same body sensations and generally results in a negative behavior from the person.
- Knowing a letter is in the post box or my email inbox that is negative- either holding negative news or negative energy- opening the letter or email ususally results in the same body sensations.
- Feeling a presence in the room- a spirit of someone I either know or don’t know. This has never been met with a feeling of fear and usually becomes comforting in the end.
- Feeling someone else’s emotions as if I am in the other person’s body. Usually this is a negative emotion; fear or grief.
- Through conversation finding out I have shared a dream with someone- as if we were both in one another’s dream- or sharing a spirit- the same spirit visits someone I know.
- Meeting someone for the first time (this occurs mostly in clinical settings) and knowing immediately, a diagnosis or disorder without any other information. This is usually the cognitive “knowing” – and not generally accompanied by body sensations and usually regarding mental health as opposed to physical health.
- Reading an email, report or assessment from a client or that a supervisee has written and gaining a sense of “knowing” about the client that goes beyond the information that has been presented.
- Sensing and knowing when someone else was ‘reading” me without my permission and being able to give a mental message back to the person to stop.
- Often gaining a sense of knowing accompanied by the body sensations when seeing a book cover. Book stores are very overwhelming for me.
- Knowing a person’s mood without seeing or hearing the person (in a chat, text message or through an avatar in a virtual world).
- Having memories of a “past life” even in the face of not wanting to believe in reincarnation at the time.
- Being given a gift from someone and having a sense of what that person’s message is to me beyond the obvious gratitude.
- Seeing images or symbols
- Sensing an angelic presence and seeing a mist or fog at the same time
- Seeing sequenced numbers such as 444, 333, 1111, 1212 all the time
- Speaking with someone who has passed over as if they are in the room
- Channeling through a process called Automatic Writing
With time, and the wisdom I have gained from clients, therapists, mentors, both academic and spiritual, sages and mystics and especially dear friends who got me, even when I didn’t, I was able to cherish these gifts of extrasensory perception and learn their benefit. I found a new vocabulary that gave me a better understanding of what I was experiencing – terms described as the Clair Senses– the “other” senses we all possess, some more clearly than others. For me, Claircognizant, Clairpresence and Clairsentience help frame the knowing, sensing and feeling I have experienced all of my life. These are the clair senses that make up my psychic abilities.
And now it is time for me to share what I know and what I have learned. This is the impetus for my course that combines wellness coaching and intuitive skills- Intuitive Wellness Coach Certificate This training teaches distance strategies as well and qualifies you to sit for the Certified International Health Coach exam through the International Association of Health Coaches. I hope you will make this course a part of your professional development journey!