This 6-hour course goes beyond introduction and discusses theoretical and clinical considerations when working therapeutically with technology-assisted writing, often referred to as email therapy or chat therapy.
This self-directed course based on applied learning reviews the uses of technology for synchronous and asynchronous communication. Specifically, the use of email, chat and text are summarized along with ethical considerations regarding consent and confidentiality. Working via these delivery methods is void of the typical auditory and aural communication cues. The Concept of Presence while working online as well as the impact of the Online Disinhibition Effect are reviewed.
- Email, Chat and Text Delivery
- Concept of Presence While Working Online
- Online Disinhibition Effect
- The Use of Online Language (emoticons, expression, bracketing, etc)
- Using a Narrative Therapy Framework
- Constructing a Therapeutic Email
- Ethical and Legal Considerations
- Participants will understand the nuances of working without paralinguistic and aural cues within a therapy session.
- Participants will be able to construct a therapeutic letter via email.
- Participants will be cognizant of ethical considerations regarding confidentiality.
- Participants know the meaning of presence within an online therapeutic relationship.
- Participants delineate the differences in SMS Texting Relay Chat, Email and Online Forums
DeeAnna Nagel is the course facilitator. She has nearly 20 years of experience in the field of Telemental Health.
This course has been approved by DeeAnna Merz Nagel, LLC as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider # 265722, DeeAnna Merz Nagel is responsible for all aspects of the programing. Many, if not most states accept NAADAC approved hours to fulfill CE requirements for LPC, LMHC, LCSW, psychologists and other allied health practitioners.
6 Clock Hours
If you have already taken a course with me, login to your existing account. Otherwise, create a new account. After you login or create a new account, you will be directed to the checkout page.